Sunday 24 March 2013

Strawberry daiquiri cupcakes.


My years of baking have some catching up to do on this blog, so I've decided to post some older favorites of mine just to get going.

(NB - my most sincere apologies for how daiquiri is spelt. ie most probably wrong. Just because I'm an English student doesn't mean I can spell!

I made these adorable little cupcakes for my 18th birthday (nearly a year ago now, *gasp!*)

Obviously, being 18, whatever I made had to contain some sort of intoxicating substance, therefore rum was the order of the day!


I discovered the recipe for these in the first Hummingbird Bakery Book, alongside Mojito and Piña Colada cupcakes.

Cocktails AND cake? Yes please!

These look spectacular but are super simple to make and perfect for an adult treat at a party!

Ingredients:
100ml white rum
170g caster sugar
250g icing sugar
120g unsalted butter
120g plain flour
1 half tsp baking powder
1 large egg
120ml milk
Half tsp vanilla essence


Preheat the oven to 170 degrees and line a muffin tin with cupcake cases. In a saucepan bring the rum and 30g of caster sugar to a boil, allow it to reduce by half, then set aside to cool. Hull and chop the strawberries into small chunks, then soak in the rum for 30 minutes.

Using an electric mixer with the paddle attachment, set on a low speed, beat together the 40g butter, flour, salt, baking powder and remaining caster sugar. Mix until all ingredients are incorporated and are crumb-like in consistency Mix together the egg, 120g of milk, vanilla essence in a jug. Whisk together and gradually pour the liquid ingredients into the butter mixture until they have all come together.

Drain the strawberries from the pan, saving the liquid and place a small piece in each of the cupcake cases. Again spoon the batter into the case filling each one two-thirds of the way up. Place in the oven for 10-12 minutes or until the cupcakes are lightly golden brown on top and springy to touch. While still warm, spoon a tsp of cooled rum over each cupcake, then leave them to cool completely while you make the icing.

Using the electric whisk, mix together the 80g of butter and icing sugar on a low speed until combined and sandy in texture. In a jug mix togther 4 tsp of milk, and 4 tsp of rum, then pour this into the butter mixture. Mix until the all ingredient have been incorporated, increase the speed to high and beat the icing util light and fluffy. Spoon the icing onto each cupcake and spread with a palette knife.

For more cupcakes, see my Sticky Toffee Pudding Cupcakes, Strawberry Jam Cupcakes and Chocolate Orange Cupcakes.

4 comments:

  1. These sound amazing, I have not yet tried Strawberry Daiquiri but i know from what is in it that i will enjoy it. I love your blog as the intructions are clear and simple and the images actually look like what the finished goods will look like because on some of the blogs that i read, the photos and food look as if a professional has made it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps too much rum was consumed?....what quantity of strawberries??!!

    BTW I love your website. How student days have changed since I was one 35 years ago- I'd never heard of a cupcake, let alone a blog....Mind you, I had heard of Rum....



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How silly of me not to put the strawberry quantity on! I would say 150g of chopped strawberries :)

      Thanks very much! x

      Delete